Are you looking for a way to gently and effectively clean your skin? Clarisonic uses a unique sonic cleansing system to restore that youthful glow to your skin while removing dirt and makeup. Even better, the devices are handheld and easy to use. With attachments for every skin type, Clarisonic can help you with problems like dull complexion, acne, large pores, over-production of oil, fine lines and wrinkles, and dry patches. Keep reading to learn more!
Clarisonic was founded in 2000 and after successfully producing a sonic toothbrush began developing skincare devices that utilize the same technology. Developed by Pacifica Bioscience Laboratories, this patented sonic technology gives Clarisonic an edge over competitors. But how exactly does it work? Sonic frequencies allow brush heads to move at a rate of 300 movements per second. This rapid motion gently whisks away makeup, dirt, and dead cells from the top layer of your skin, making the skin brighter and smoother.
These devices are so gentle, you can use them up to two times each day on any skin type. Clarisonic’s patented technology is said to provide the following benefits:
- Cleans 6x more thoroughly than you would be able to clean by hand
- Allows skincare products to penetrate up to 60% deeper
- Allows for smooth makeup application
- Makes skin look clean and healthy
- Shrinks pores
- Minimizes wrinkles and fine lines
- Reduces blemishes, dry patches, and oily areas
Clarisonic’s products are popular not only in the USA, but also in Europe and other countries. The devices are available to consumers, but are also utilized by spas, estheticians, and dermatologists. L’Oreal purchased this up-and-coming company in 2011.
Did you know that without cleaning your skin properly, your pores become clogged with oil, bacteria, and pollutants? This blockage not only prevents your skin from absorbing skincare products but can also cause blackheads and dullness. Clarisonic has the answer to this problem with the models listed below. Each model is of professional-quality and features a sleek design.
- Mia 1 ($99): 1 speed/ for beginners
- Mia 2 ($149): 2 speeds/ extra gentle and is great for traveling
- Mia 3 ($199): 3 speeds/ customizable and advanced with lots of color options
- Plus ($180): 3 speeds/ can be used on face and body
- Radiance ($249): Designed to eliminate dark spots
- Pedi ($199): For smooth and soft feet
- Smart Profile ($265): 4 speeds/ a luxury device for face and body that cleans 11x better than you would be able to clean by hand
- Opal ($185): Provides anti-aging results for the eye area
The prices above are straight from Clarisonic.com. Amazon seems to be selling them at the same prices. When searching for deals, some customers ran across fake and counterfeit devices, so be careful! If you want to make the investment, we recommend purchasing directly from the website (especially because you can take advantage of the company’s 90-day money-back guarantee). You can also purchase these sonic devices at mall retailers like Sephora and Nordstrom. Visit Clarisonic.com for a full list of authorized retailers.
Clarisonic manufactures several brush heads based on skin type and condition. All heads conveniently fit the Mia 1, 2, 3 devices and the Plus model. You can purchase most of these brush heads in a 2-pack for $44 on the company’s official website.
- Sensitive – gentle, but gets the job done! Great for sensitive/combination skin.
- Deep pore cleansing – this one is perfect if you need to unclog pores and have normal/oily skin.
- Acne cleansing – choose this head if you are prone to breakouts and have oily/sensitive skin.
- Radiance – engineered to combat dullness and hyperpigmentation.
- Cashmere Cleanse – for dry skin only.
- Normal – great for men cleansing before a shave.
- Delicate – for dry skin that is easily dehydrated or irritated.
- Smart dynamic – adjusts automatically to deliver the best clean for normal/oily skin.
- Satin precision – for delicate and curvy areas of the face; appropriate for dry/normal skin.
How to Use
Let the battery charge for 24 hours before the first use. Gently wipe away makeup and then apply cleanser to either a damp face or a moistened brush head. Turn it on and select your speed. Move the brush in small and gentle circles while following timed prompts. You should spend about 20 seconds on the nose and chin, 20 seconds on the forehead, and 10 seconds on each cheek. As you can see, the entire process takes only minutes (you can even do it in the shower)! Make sure not to press too hard and to always keep the brush flush against your skin. Keep in mind you’ll need to replace the head of the brush every 3 months for best results.
Advice from customers
Despite the company’s claims, users advise that those with very dry skin and/or rosacea should look for an alternative. Reviews were mostly positive, with the biggest concern being longevity. Expect your sonic device to last somewhere between 2 and 3 years. If it breaks within 3 years, you’re covered by the warranty. Clarisonic has great customer service and they will replace a broken charger for $45 at any time.
Most users were pleasantly surprised to see a noticeable difference in the appearance of their skin after the first use. In addition, makeup went on smoothly and beauty creams and serums were more easily absorbed. Clarisonic is great for oily skin because it reduces shine, adds a healthy glow, and minimizes sebaceous glands. Several women mentioned that their sonic devices helped minimize wrinkles and reduce the appearance of blackheads. The Mia 2 has more positive reviews than any other device.
Based on research and customer reviews, Clarisonic seems to be a great skin care investment. If handled according to instructions, it should last more than 2 years. Clarisonic products aren’t cheap, but let’s face it: you just can’t put a price on beautiful skin! When it comes to removing dead skin cells from the face in a gentle yet effective way easily and in the privacy of your own home, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better product. And with brush heads for every skin type, anyone can use a Clarisonic! Click here for more tips on how to achieve radiant, youthful skin.