Smooth skin is associated with youth and beauty, which is why everyone seems to desire it.
But not everyone has smooth skin. Some men and women struggle with texture problems, uneven tone, dark spots, and other concerns that can really put a damper on self-confidence.
In this article, we discuss the causes of uneven skin texture on the face as well as how to improve skin texture and how to get rid of uneven skin tone for a younger-looking appearance.
Did you know there are different types of skin textures?
Some people have uneven texture, which means different areas of skin (usually different areas of the face) have different textures.
Rough and bumpy skin texture is one of the most common of these changes.
What causes uneven skin texture?
It is usually called when excess dead skin cells build up on the skin’s surface. This makes your skin feel bumpy or rough and can give your skin a dull look.
Other causes include:
- Chronic sun exposure
- Skin conditions like xeroderma (dry skin) and eczema
Click here for a full catalogue of skin texture changes and what they might mean.
Methods for improving skin texture
Individuals with mild texture problems unrelated to age don’t need to undergo anything serious to get smooth skin. Here are our recommendations:
1. Exfoliate regularly with a cleaning scrub, chemical exfoliant, or sonic cleaning brush. Make sure to follow all product rules. Excess scrubbing or exfoliating can cause problems like irritation, increased oil production, and early signs of aging.
2. Try a chemical peel at home or at a dermatologist’s office. Chemical peels can remove sun damage and promote healthy regrowth.
3. If blackheads and blemishes are causing bumpy areas on your face, use a facial oil like Herbivore Botanicals Lapis Facial Oil ($72 on Amazon).
4. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that defends the skin from damage, restores smoothness, and reduces pigmentation. Use a Vitamin C serum to prevent future texture problems.
5. Always wear SPF and avoid smoking cigarettes.
Microdermabrasion is a method of exfoliation that removes the top layer of damaged skin, allowing healthier, younger-looking skin to emerge.
Microdermabrasion also helps minimize wrinkles, scars, and acne.
You can visit a dermatologist or spa for this treatment, or you can do it at home by purchasing one of the many microdermabrasion tools available.
Microdermabrasion is appropriate for all skin types. It is not painful, but can be mildly uncomfortable at first.
Laser resurfacing treatment (LSR)
Lasers have been shown to be very effective in improving skin texture. Keep in mind that laser resurfacing treatment (LSR) is a costly, invasive, professional treatment that is not for everyone.
LSR should be considered “surgery.” Like microdermabrasion, LSR removes the top layer of damaged skin to reveal the healthier skin beneath.
The new skin cells that your body produces during the recovery period can give your face a tighter and younger look.
The ideal candidate has:
- Sun damage
- Blotches/hyperpigmentation (click here to learn more)
- Wrinkles around the eyes and mouth
- Loose skin around the eyes
- Textured scars
- Precancerous skin growths
This procedure isn’t for you if:
- You can’t commit to a strict pretreatment program
- You are unwilling to stop smoking cigarettes
- You can’t afford to spend at least $1,300
- You want a quick solution
- You have thin or sensitive skin
Click here to read my article on laser skin resurfacing.
Causes of uneven skin tone
Uneven tone is sometimes referred to “hyperpigmentation,” and it is much easier to treat than unevenness.
Hyperpigmentation occurs when your body produces too much melanin. Causes of hyperpigmentation include:
- Sun exposure
- Air pollution
- Scars (including acne scars)
Below, we cover three of the best products for uneven skin tone.
Clinique “Even Better” Clinical Dark Spot Corrector
Clinique’s prescription-strength formula targets dark spots and acne marks.
Studies show that most people will see a noticeable difference in the appearance of dark spots after 4 weeks of consistent use and a 58% improvement after 12 weeks.
This product features a gentle formula that is allergy-tested, 100% fragrance free, safe for all skin types, and appropriate for year-round use.
You can get it on Amazon for $29.98. This product has a rating of 3.4 of 5 stars.
Be careful when purchasing products from popular brands like Clinique. There are lots of fakes out there.
Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic Acid + Retinol Brightening Solution
This professional-strength, plant-based formula was developed by Dr. Dennis Gross, a famous dermatologist among the fashion elite of New York City. It has been shown to be effective in fading dark spots resulting from hyperpigmentation, photo-aging, blemish scars, and hormonal changes.
You can think of this serum as a multi-pronged attack on all types of uneven skin tones.
Here are some of the active ingredients and what they do:
- Retinol and ferulic improve dull skin, signs of aging, and sun damage
- Bearberry and azelaic amino acid fade dark spots
- Willow bark and salicylic acid minimize the appearance of pores
In a consumer study, 91% of participants reported younger-looking skin after two weeks of daily use; 94% reported smoother skin, and 91% reported increased glow.
This product has a fluid-like consistency that absorbs quickly. It can be used to treat small areas or the entire face.
You can get it on Amazon for $74.25. This product has a rating of 4 of 5 stars.
StriVectin Instant Revitalizing Mask
This product is different than the previous two in that it is a mask that you leave on for 15 minutes and then rinse off. StriVectin’s revitalizing mask gives the face an instant boost, illuminating the complexion and restoring clarity.
This nourishing mask utilizes Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) and skin brighteners to improve skin tone and promote a younger complexion.
- Improves uneven skin tone
- Promote a younger appearance
You can get it for $32-$62, depending on where you buy.
Note: it’s always important to speak with your dermatologist about your particular skin condition before using any products.